Five things you didn’t know about yoga and success:
Many people know that yoga is meant to be good for you. Often I hear the statements “I need to start yoga”, “I’ll start on Monday” or “I am doing 3 classes as of next week” but most of the time this never happens…. So the general population knows that yoga is good for health and wellbeing, but do we ever do the research or find out the information to figure out why it actually does benefit us?
Well here’s some reasons why:
- Yoga focuses on the breath. Focus on breath helps us to calm down by using our Parasympathetic Nervous system as opposed to using our sympathetic nervous system, which activates a flight or fight, response, often caused from feelings of anxiousness. The parasympathetic nervous system helps us to focus on breathing long deep breathes into our stomach as opposed to breathing short breaths into our chest, therefore making us clearer in our decision-making and not basing our actions on emotions caused from feelings of anxiousness.
- Yoga is any stretch that makes us feel good so you don’t have to worry about doing any advanced or tricky postures.
- Yoga doesn’t have to be a chore. You can do yoga pretty much anywhere so it won’t take up too much of your time and energy. You will feel revitalized and guilt-free after doing some stretches plus you will be able to tackle that busy schedule with ease.
- Yoga keeps us injury free. Keeping our bodies flexible and strong means less injury and more mobility and functionality in our daily life.
- Yoga helps with relationships. Participating in partner yoga is a great way to bond with your partner, friends or family. It will make you a lot closer and a lot of the time helps with the deepening and stretch of the posture making sure you get the most out of it.
By Lucinda Nicholas